Lena Dargham is the Director General of the Lebanese Standards Institution- LIBNOR, a public institution attached to the Minister of Industry, a role to which she was appointed by the Lebanese Council of Ministers in May 2014. She served as LIBNOR Acting Director General between 2006 and 2014, successfully restructuring the institution and leading its active involvement in the international, European and Regional standardization activities.
She has 20 years of experience in the fields of Standards, Accreditation, Metrology and Quality. Has contributed to the development of the Lebanese Standardization system and the elaboration of the legal framework related to the Quality infrastructure in Lebanon including Technical Regulations and conformity Assessment.
She has been appointed in September 2016 by the International Organization for Standardization- ISO in Geneva, as the Chair of the ISO Committee for Developing countries (DEVCO) (committee of 140 countries) and member of ISO Council. A role that is allocated for the first time to an Arab person since the creation of the committee in 1961.
She also served between 2008 and 2016 as a member of the ISO DEVCO Chair’s Advisory Group and played an active role in the development and monitoring the ISO Strategy and Action plans for Developing countries successively for the years 2011-2015 and 2016-2020.
She also serves as:
- Chair of the national committee for technical regulation and conformity assessment
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Lebanese Council for Accreditation (COLIBAC), Contributed to the elaboration of COLIBAC bylaws and legal framework
- Member of the National Metrology Council, Contributed to the elaboration of the metrology decrees and legal framework
- The FAO/WHO Codex Alimentarius Contact point in Lebanon and has served as the FAO/WHO Codex Alimentarius Regional Coordinator for the Near East Region for the years 2014 and 2015.
- Member of the High Advisory Committee on standardization in the Arab Industrial Development and Mining Organization (AIDMO), and actively involved in the work of SMIIC (Standards and Metrology Organization for Islamic countries).
- Member of the national ACAA committee (Agreements on Conformity Assessment and Acceptance of Industrial Products), that contributed to the development of the Lebanese action plan aiming at facilitating the access of Lebanese goods to the European market, and concluding bilateral agreement on specific sectors
Lena Dargham holds a diploma of Agriculture Engineer from USEK university and a Master degree in Food Quality Management Systems from AUF. She is Lecturer at Saint Joseph University (USJ)